A section may be created to contain questions that should only be displayed if one or more specific values of a multiple option question are selected, or not selected, by the respondent.
For example, if a user answers ‘yes’ to a given multiple option question, a further question such as ‘Please provide further details’ is then displayed. This is achieved by defining a section dependency conditions.
Any section can be made dependent but there are some constraints that need to be taken into consideration:
- A section cannot depend on its own or its descendants’ questions
- A section can only depend on looping sections’ questions, if the looping section is an ancestor of the dependent section
- A section can only depend on Multi Answer questions.
How to define a dependent section
- Go to the questionnaire edit page
- Select the section that depends on another answer from the questionnaire tree structure
- Hover over the black sub menu’s item ‘Manage Section’ and then click on the ‘Define dependency’ menu item
- Fill in the dependency details, by selecting the section, question, option, and if the option should be selected or not
- Click on ‘Set Dependency’.